I have finally completed Assignment 5 of the SBA Distance Course - this assignment highlights Composition - bringing together all the elements of learning so far - line, form, tone, colour - and our studies with leaves and flowers. The subject was not a whole plant on a page, more an arrangement of cut stems from a flowering plant - arranged on paper in a way that was aesthetically pleasing.
|Painted the flowers first ...|
The plant I chose was an Alyogyne ... there was very little in flower at the time of starting as our seasons are opposite to the UK. When painting in such detail it helps if you have a great synergy with the subject.
|Building up the washes|
The Alyogyne was growing on the side of the road during our recent visit to the country - the flowers are outstanding in their colour. Also outstandingly difficult to paint as they change constantly - from pink/purple to a vivid violet and then blue/purple. However I am always drawn to vibrant colour and wanted to learn about these pigments .... I posted previously about the time spent with colour testing and I am happy with the results....
|Starting to paint the leaves ...|
The washes were built up very slowly using only Quinacridone Magenta, French Ultramarine and Winsor Violet, each flower varying in hue.
The painting took many weeks of work in my spare time, and this courageous little plant even survived inside the house. I had cut and arranged the stems while planning my composition but needed to use the plant for reference. The Alyogyne is used to full sun and by the time I completed the painting there was only one flower left on it - it is now retired to the garden .....
|Alyogyne huegelii 'West Coast Gem'|
Thank you for visiting ... and for your lovely comments, they are very encouraging!