"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home" (Twyla Tharp)

Pierre de Ronsard ...


Summer is almost upon us and in our region means often heatwave, dry and harsh conditions. I know we aren't ideally suited to some plantings but while I do like many native plants, having been brought up around only those which grow happily in the wild, I have a very romantic idea of gardens and relentlessly pursue the option to grow stunning varieties less suited to our conditions.


Our climate is considered more Mediterranean - mild winters and hot, dry summers.  We have managed to cultivate a beautiful garden in progress - I choose and create the design of the garden and it would be nothing without my husband's back breaking labour - thankfully he loves to get dirty and feels more 'grounded' after a day's work in the garden.  Makes for a great partnership ...


This gorgeous climbing rose is one of my favourites -  Pierre de Ronsard.
It's a wonderfully showy climber with cabbage like flowers.  The roses are cream going through to a busy cluster of petals from pink through to carmine.  It has the most gorgeous fragrance and to me is the epitome of old fashioned romance and elegance.






I took these photos of our climbing rose 'Pierre de Ronsard' knowing full well that soon we will get a hot blast of summer and sadly the petals will brown and the flowers will be short-lived.But for a brief shining moment I can enjoy this beautiful rose before our hot sun and raging easterlies blow them all over our garden ....

Au revoir!


5 comments:

  1. I once lived next door to an abandoned rose garden. I regularly used to pick armfuls of big, soft blooms for my kitchen table. Your lovely photographs brought back old memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a rose myself. Such a heady mix of scent and sensual velvetyness (is that a word?). This one is just gorgeous, oooh that colour, i've just got to get one, the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of these roses... they are so pretty and romantic... So far I have had luck with mine in France... here's hoping for next year...xv

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these roses, particularly like the first image of the roses hanging down because they're so heavy with petals...gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete