"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home" (Twyla Tharp)

Pimelea physodes - Qualup bell


 

Pimelea physodes - Qualup Bell 

Recently I returned to my art studio inspired after finding two sought after Qualup bell specimens from a local native nursery.  I have always loved these plants and they were on my wish list to paint but being endemic to specific regions sparsely located at great distance in Western Australia they were very difficult to study and illustrate without being in situ.



Having found the plants I set to work carefully observing all the colourways - which were many - probably why I’m so attracted to them, as well as their showy nature, despite being somewhat ordinary looking when not in flower.


I began by colour matching the the bell shaped flowers to ensure I was happy with my portrayal and then set to work adding fine watercolour layers, taking care to work with a more dry brush approach to create the feel of a filmy somewhat transparent petal or bract.

I had been working seated in the conservatory area as I had really spread out to study the plant, however I found it was taxing on my neck and shoulders when I was painting in a seated position.


I moved back into my art studio to my usual standing desk option and it was so much easier and more comfortable to paint and work closely for longer periods.  I highly recommend using a standing desk or sit to stand option as it is easier to move about and not get stuck in an awkward position.




I took regular breaks and brought the artwork into another room to check progress alongside the real subject in different light.  I find it's a good habit to look at the painting in different rooms and alternate lighting situations to create a more balanced

I had underestimated the level of work involved in painting the myriad of leaves, so it became much longer working period to enable me to meet the emerging  deadline.



 I finished the first watercolour layers of most of the painting and then spent a couple of days adding depth and finer detail.
Thankfully I managed to complete the Qualup Bell with very little time to spare before having the artwork scanned and entered into a prestigious botanical illustration exhibition in Melbourne.

Qualup bell - © Vicki Lee Johnston

I was very happy to be notified that my botanical illustration of this amazing plant had been selected for the The Art of Botanical Illustration in Melbourne (TABI 2022).  I then set to work ensuring the paper was perfectly flat by dampening the back and resting under heavy books, it worked beautifully and the artwork was ready to be framed.



I very much appreciated the local framer, Angela at White Room Studios, who managed to help me meet the tight interstate deadline before sending the framed artwork across to Melbourne. 




  Thanks also to my sister in law who presented the artwork to the gallery on my behalf,  which was very much appreciated.  Perth in Western Australia is a long way from anywhere and it gets very expensive to be included in the national and international exhibitions, however with  great support it can be possible.



 


For those also at great distance and unable to attend the gallery in person you can view this beautiful exhibition of botanical artworks by national and international artists online for a short period.

The 16th Biennial The Art of Botanical Illustration (TABI 2022) run by the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne is on show until October 2nd at Domain House Gallery in Melbourne.


1 comment:

  1. so love the art work and subject such talent

    ReplyDelete