"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home" (Twyla Tharp)

Heartfelt ...



© Vicki Lee Johnston


Anybody who knows me understands that I am a mad collector of nature treasures and in particular seashells.  I absolutely adore them, I don't think anything man made could be as beautiful.  Over the years I have collected various bits and pieces and even though I am trying to downsize and declutter all the 'stuff' that accumulates over the years I can't bear to part with these beautiful jewels of nature.  Especially considering so many were found with my beloved husband and children after hours spent wandering beaches.








I always wanted to paint them and in particular one of my favourites, a beautiful heart cockle which I have had from the early days of collecting.  




It just really speaks to me, probably because I am an old romantic and  it has the most beautiful shades of soft neutrals and pinks.  So I decided that for Valentine's Day I would paint it for my husband instead of giving a card.  I am so lucky to have such a wonderful partner in life - he has been my rock, my best friend and such a great supporter of any path I choose, he has such faith in me and the feeling is mutual.  




I managed to draw up this tricky shell with all its bumps and crevices and light and shade.  Due to a week long heatwave I only had two days to paint it so I didn't expect to finish it in time.  I think though when you love a subject and feel an affinity the process is a lot more organic and intuitive so fortunately I did manage to get further along.



© Vicki Lee Johnston
The very early stages trying to capture the road map of detail.



© Vicki Lee Johnston
Although it was only intended as a card I am now regretting using the old SBA course work paper - as you can see the buckling is apparent!



© Vicki Lee Johnston



Getting a bit further into the detail, bringing in warmer hues and subtle shadows.
Voila!  Almost done ... a few tweaks here and there, then my usual method of stretching the paper to remove the buckles and it should do.


© Vicki Lee Johnston
 The quality of the photo is poor but I will get around to cleaning up the background so that it doesn't look so grey.







As usual he almost trumped me with his card which I love - it will be framed also because we love to make plans and adventures together and it also speaks to me.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone - even though it is a romantically inclined tradition I always see it as an opportunity to celebrate love in any form, whether it be family, friends, pets, nature, the universe ... we could all use more love x
 
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
is just to love and be loved in return"

'Nature Boy' - Eden Ahbez 


© Vicki Lee Johnston



12 comments:

  1. Vicki painting of the cockle shell is absolutely stunning....I'm sure Tod will be overwhelmed by it.
    Like you I so many of natures beauties amongst my therapeutic clutter......sea shells even back from when I was a child, beautiful colour rocks, seed pods, leaves, bark etc.....I've tried many times to de clutter the collection & each one brings back a memory....so nothing really gained by thinking I could part with some of them....I'm nearly as bad with books....
    Keep up the beautiful work ....you are an inspiration
    Hugs Tricia πŸžπŸƒπŸš

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tricia.
      I could live in a shed as long as I had loads of nature around me.
      Really appreciate the lovely comment, big hugs back xx

      Delete
  2. Dear Vicki, this is beautiful! Love it! Bonne St-Valentin chère amie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my beautiful friend, hope you enjoyed your special dinner.
      Hugs to both of you xx

      Delete
  3. this is so beautiful....❤️.....so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura, I am happy it is - more shells to come!

      Delete
  4. Vicki, Your heart cockle painting turned out beautifully--the texture, subtle colors and sweet shape are quite charming. I am sure your husband was thrilled! Best wishes to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janene, sorry for late reply your comment went to my spam folder. It was a very enjoyable piece and I hope to do more. Best wishes to you, love all your work

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful piece.

    Some of my best memories are walking along beautiful beaches with you collecting shells Mumma. I love that we have these treasures that will last forever. So many memories with every little unique shell and rock.

    Your talent is so inspiring. I am so lucky to have an amazing mother and best friend like you to encourage a more creative pathway. The world can be all that you imagine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - what a lovely comment. This piece meant a lot to me but was probably one of the fastest I have completed because it came from my heart.

    I have so many memories of our beach walks and special times - will never forget. How lucky I am to have the sweetest daughter ever.

    Thank you for seeing the world through my eyes and realising there is so much beauty - and then making it even more beautiful by the work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Vicky
    This seashell painting is one of the best shell pictures I have ever seen, anywhere. It holds the beauty and the spirit of the shell and your love for it. Its spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coral it's so nice to see you here! What a beautiful compliment thank you so much. I adore shells as I said, have many projects in the waiting and your comment is great motivation to continue. Thank you!

      Delete