"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home" (Twyla Tharp)

Time to learn more ....


For years I had collected prints of botanical art paintings - from the old masters like Redoute to anything I could find which related to this fine art. It was on a trip to the Blue Mountains that I came upon Lilianfels, a beautiful boutique lodge which featured botanical paintings on every wall. It was there that I was given a card for a wonderful botanical art teacher in Melbourne - Jenny Phillips. I contacted her about lessons and to my surprise I was given the opportunity to attend a week long class with her at the Botanical Art School in Melbourne. 




© Vicki Lee Johnston


I admire her willingness to accept of my lack of skill and experience - however it really was a baptism of fire because in the class were many experienced botanical artists - who had also taught and held exhibitions in their own right. I was way out of my depth. I didn't have the right brushes, paints, palette - but Jenny was so kind to guide me through it, all the while recognising I had a desire to learn and a great passion for this art. I finished the week - but not the painting. We painted hydrangeas - I managed to get most of the flower head done ....



No comments:

Post a Comment